Going back to school should be exciting, not terrifying.
As a mom, I have had a pit in my stomach since Poppy returned to school this year. Uvalde was days before the end of the school year, and I could not have been happier that school was over. So how do you deal with the fear of active school shooters?! I grew up preparing for earthquakes, not guns!
I believe knowledge is power, and I can prepare us with that knowledge!
Here is a list of information I am actively learning and asking.
- When are the active shooting drills?
- How will this be communicated to my child's age group?
- Talk to your kids about the drill and what they learned.
- Ask them how it made them feel.
- How will the school notify parents in case of an emergency?
- Talk to your kids about guns and what to do if they see or find one.
- Ask before a playdate if there is a gun in the home.
- Find out about local elections and VOTE!
As a parent, we must all be brave enough to get comfortable with the uncomfortable! Our kids' lives depend on it.
xo Fierce Mama Bear